Wednesday, May 9, 2012

my own algonquin round table

In recent discussion with a friend, I gave some serious consideration to the age-old question, "Who, dead or alive, would you invite to a dinner party?" Here are my responses.



MATTHEW ARNOLD- British poet and culture critic, author of Dover Beach
"It is so small a thing to have enjoyed the sun, to have lived light in the spring, to have loved, to have thought, to have done."
BILL CUNNINGHAM- fashion photographer for the NY Times
‎"Fashion is the armour to survive the reality of everyday life. I don’t think you could do away with it. It would be like doing away with civilization."

DIANA, Princess of Wales
"I think the biggest disease the world suffers from in this day and age is the disease of people feeling unloved. I know that I can give love for a minute, for half an hour, for a day, for a month, but I can give. I am very happy to do that, I want to do that."
credit

MARCEL DUCHAMP- French post modern artist
"I am interested in ideas, not merely in visual products."
credit

WASSILY KANDINSKY- Russian painter and art theorist
“… lend your ears to music, open your eyes to painting, and … stop thinking! Just ask yourself whether the work has enabled you to “walk about” into a hitherto unknown world. If the answer is yes, what more do you want?”
credit

HARPER LEE- American author of To Kill a Mockingbird
"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks."
credit

C.S. LEWIS- Irish novelist, poet, academic, medievalist, 
literary critic, essayist, lay theologian and Christian apologist
"Literature adds to reality, it does not simply describe it. It enriches the necessary competencies that daily life requires and provides; and in this respect, it irrigates the deserts that our lives have already become."
credit

STEVE MARTIN- American actor, comedian, author, playwright, producer, musician and composer
“Talking about music is like dancing about architecture.” 
credit
SYLVIA PLATH- American poet, novelist and short story writer
"Let me love, love and say it well in good sentences."
credit

JOHN SINGER SARGENT- American Realist painter
"Cultivate an ever continuous power of observation. Wherever you are, be always ready to make slight notes of postures, groups and incidents. Store up in the mind... a continuous stream of observations from which to make selections later. Above all things get abroad, see the sunlight and everything that is to be seen."
 credit

ANDY WARHOL- American pop artist
"During the 1960s, I think, people forgot what emotions were supposed to be. And I don't think they've ever remembered."
credit

VIRGINIA WOOLF- English author, essayist, publisher, and writer of short stories
“One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.” 
credit

FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT- American architect, interior designer, writer and educator
"Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities."
credit

VICTORIA, Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland
"Being pregnant is an occupational hazard of being a wife."
potrait by F. Winterhalter

No comments:

Post a Comment