Friday, March 26, 2010

Long time...

I haven't updated in quite a while. I am not really sure what I have to say either. I had a lovely spring break full of all sorts of adventures with my family.

I finished the books I purchased that were mentioned in my last blog post.

To Kill A Mockingbird is easily one of the most inspiring books I have read in my entire life. Considerably better than I recall it to be from eighth grade. And I think I am particularly tied to it because I can relate so much. First, my father is an attorney, with many similar qualities to Atticus. Secondly, most of my dad's family is in a small town in Alabama, very similar to Maycomb in the book. My dad's family is also similar to the Finchs, the big family in town, in the small town in Alabama that they live.

A Separate Peace, on the other hand, was a tad different than I remembered from middle school. While it is still a wonderful novel and an inspiring piece of fiction, it didn't have the same effect on me that it did when I was younger. The book is more geared to a younger audience, struggling with the perils of being a teen and trying to figure out who you are. It deals with friendships, war, growing up, and basically....high school. I don't know, I just feel like I didn't take away as much as I wanted to from this book. Maybe my expectations were too high...?

Now I am picking up a book called Of Love and Other Demons. It won a Nobel Prize for Litertaure a while ago and seems to be a pretty interesting read although being in my Hispanic American Lit class has made me a little tired of reading books where the setting/characters are Latino. I'm just a tad insensitive right now to that perspective.

I am certainly prepared for Easter. Not that I don't LOVE A&;M, I am just ready to be home. There are a lot of things I miss about Houston. It really is a great town. Spring break was such an unfair taste of summer and has given me little motivation for the next 5-6 weeks. AHHH

Blahhhhhh right now I am just feeling like my life is in neutral. Maybe even cruise control. I need something exciting, or simply just out of the ordinary. Things are getting monotonous.

All my love,
had

2 comments:

  1. summer will be here soon enough and we will go see charles at least 3 times. so lovely! spring will be fun in cstat...you're going to be very busy! happy reading, monster.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the book To Kill a Mockingbird, too! I work at a nursing home in Monroeville, AL (that's where the author is from). You would love the town. It's a quaint southern town with a town square around the courthouse. Every year the town puts on a play of To Kill a Mockingbird outside the courthouse. I'ts always in May, and I really want to get tickets for my mom as a Mother's Day present next year.

    ReplyDelete